The idea for this post came from reading A Meaningful World by Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt, so I want to give them some credit for a wonderful book and for pointing out how amazing even the simple things of creation truly are.
Consider air. Following is a list of many amazing things about air that reveal the praiseworthiness of the Creator!
- Earth’s atmosphere protects humanity from harmful radiation.
- It’s transparent for vision.
- It’s the right composition for controlled combustion. Too much oxygen and combustion is irrepressible. Too little oxygen and no fire is possible.
- It’s the perfect ratio of elements for both respiration and photosynthesis. Also consider that God designed an amazing process to keep the ratio in balance. The respiration process has a by-product of CO2, which is needed for photosynthesis to take place. Conversely, the by-product of photosynthesis is O2, which is vital for creatures that respirate.
- It’s not too dense to move freely.
- It’s dense enough to provide lift for flight. Flight/lift is useful for birds, bats, insects, flying fish, flying squirrels, and humans. Trees and plants were designed to make use of lift to spread their seed and spores.
- It’s also dense enough to provide thermal protection against extreme heat and cold.
- It can be absorbed by water, so that marine organisms can use oxygen.
- It can hold water vapor and transport it all over the world to be a key part of the water cycle.
- It can carry scents. Scents can be sweet to create feelings of delight and strong memories. Scents can also be sour as a protective measure against corruption and disease.
- It is an incredible medium for passing sound waves. Because sounds pass noticeably slower through air than light travels, someone with two working ears can determine the direction of the source of a sound. If sound traveled faster through air, this would be more difficult.
- Because it is an insulator, air currents are created between areas of heated and cooled air, which can freshen and renew
- An an insulator, it also prevents runaway lightning from electrocuting everything.
- Air can be compressed for use as
- Pneumatic mechanisms
- Underwater breathing apparatus
- Accelerating projectiles
- Air brakes
- Flotation devices
- Carbonated drinks
To recognize any one of these things would make air remarkable, but that all of these advantages exist within a single entity that we refer to as air speaks of a truly Grand Designer! All of creation speaks to his glory, and God is worthy of all praise.
Can you think of other design features of air? Add them to the comments.